Digg Closes New Account Registration. New Digg is Nigh.

by JD Rucker on July 30, 2010

*** UPDATE: Close, but not this weekend according to Digg. ***

Either Digg hates new users or we’re about to see the changeover to Digg v4.0.

As of this morning, new account registration has closed for Digg. Attempting to create an account yields this message:

There has been much speculation about the New Digg. Unlike most changes and rollouts, Digg has been very forthcoming with information, offering Alpha and limited pre-Alpha testing to get feedback. The only information that has been held back has been the answer to the question, “When”.

It is unlikely that Digg would want to keep new people from registering for longer than a week or two, so we expect to see an upcoming weekend rollout of v4.0. The traffic and load on the site is considerably lower on weekends and would be a good time for stress-testing, bug fixing, and managing feedback.

Expect to see a new version of Digg in the very near future.

* * *

Hat Tip: Amy Vernon. Read more social media awesomeness on our Social Media Blog.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Freebies July 30, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Wow!!! The new Digg is gonna be the best!

Olgen Ifti July 30, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Yeah… I tried to link my facebook account with my digg acoount and it’s not letting me in…. Looking forward the new platform.

Sumpm July 31, 2010 at 5:03 pm

The new Digg has its benefits, but it’s still a bit flaky. A lot of the time, when I click *more* I just get a repeated of the previous 20 or so stories.

guest July 31, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Who cares anymore; everyone seems to submit whatever to Digg these days – even if stories are not stories, and which should never be made public. I won’t be joining any time soon until they get this under control!!

Robert Antwi August 18, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I did not know about this new digg accounts that were going around. Only have just seen this on Mashable – well i will defiently bee doing some analysis on the new digg when i finally get in . Currently on the subdomain they have a page rank of 5 – this is going to be interesting :)

patel yash b December 13, 2010 at 5:12 am