Love it or hate it, you have probably heard of Facebook. You have visited the site, seen if it’s for you, and made the decision to either try it out or dismiss it as a fad or worthless time-drain.
Regardless of your feelings, here are some facts that are interesting to some, unknown by most, and will enhance your knowledge of the largest social network in the world.
- Facebook was originally bankrolled by a co-founder of Paypal for $500,000
- There is evidence that founder Mark Zuckerberg stole many of the ideas and much of the code from ConnectU. They sued Facebook and settled for an undisclosed amount.
- 400,000,000 people log into their profile at least once a month
- Half of those people log in every day.
- 70% of Facebook users live outside of the US.
- 44.1% of Denmark has an active Facebook profile.
- Only Google gets more traffic.
- Yahoo! tried to buy Facebook in 2006 for $1,000,000,000.
- 8,300,000,000 hours are spent on Facebook monthly.
- The fastest growing demographic in America on Facebook: Women 55+.
- FAD is a mental disorder – Facebook Addiction Disorder. FAD. Ironic.
- Court notices and summons sent through Facebook are legal and binding in Australia.
For a visual depiction of this and more interesting facts, check out this infographic below.
Click to Enlarge
[Source: Online PhD Programs]
* * *
Learn more about Facebook by watching our weekly Social Media Show.